Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Season

It's been a sunny and warm start to January here in the Phoenix area, a symbol of the feeling I've had since the Giants defeated Dallas on Sunday night, punching their ticket to the playoffs and a matchup with Atlanta.

Before we look ahead, I'd like to look back at the season that was. Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin have done a remarkable job this season in getting this team to the playoffs, considering Coughlin's ability to keep them fighting in spite of the injuries to key players pretty much from the start of camp, and the depth Reese gave this roster even though it seemed the Giants were sitting on their hands and not improving, while the Eagles were building a "dream team" in free agency. But there's something to be said for stability and continuity. Kevin Gilbride has been Eli Manning's coordinator for 4 years now, and was his QB coach before that. Their comfort with each other shows, and Eli has had a season for the ages. (This is somewhat overshadowed by three other quarterbacks, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers, having even more amazing seasons. A lot of other years, Eli Manning would have been MVP, but I can't blame voters for placing Eli likely a distant fourth this year.)

On defense, I'm still not the biggest Perry Fewell fan, but it seems his unit is starting to peak at the right time, with the secondary finally clamping down after being gashed all season, and the pass rush firing on all cylinders.

If the oddsmakers are any indication, the Falcons and Giants are as evenly matched as it gets. The Giants are a 3 point favorite, and usually the standard in setting the line is to grant 3 points to the team playing at home.

I have no idea what's going to happen Sunday, but I can't wait to find out.

1 comment:

mkenny59 said...

Normally I don't care for trash talk, but I kind of like how Tuck has stoked the fire with his criticism of Atlanta's O-line. It's further raised my interest in the game, which I didn't think was possible. I hope Eli shreds ATL like Rodgers did last year.