Monday, January 16, 2012

Astounding

37-20 over the 15-1 Packers. That's not just a big road win, that's domination.

Watching this team make nothing look easy over their first 14 games, I still almost can't believe what I'm seeing.

In the 2nd quarter in Week 16 against the Jets, the Giants trailed 7-3, when Eli Manning hit Victor Cruz on a 3rd and 10 from the Giants' own 1 yard-line. Since Cruz sidestepped two Jets defenders and went the remaining 99 yards for the TD, the Giants have outscored the Jets, Cowboys, Falcons, and Packers, by a combined score of 118-43. It's as if they were sparked into becoming a completely different team.

Now, on to San Francisco for a rematch. The 49ers are awfully tough, and not to be overlooked. When watching their matchup with the Saints the day before, I was struck by how physical they are, and how well they tackle. I'll be shocked if the NFC Championship is a blowout for either side. But the way the Giants are playing, they can beat anyone.

And a last note - I don't usually get into the "bulletin board material" kind of stuff because at this point in the season, no player needs extra motivation. But I was amazed at what I heard from Vernon Davis when he was interviewed during halftime of Giants-Packers.

Davis was asked if he was rooting for the Packers or Giants. Every time I've previously heard an athlete asked this question, they have been diplomatic and not answered it. But Davis flat out said, he wanted the Giants to win. I understand he likes to play at home, but after what he saw done to the Packers yesterday, as the saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for."

The goal now? Finish it.

No comments: