Saturday, December 31, 2011

Time to retire this one

We could probably all name a ton of sayings we are tired of, and I certainly have my fair share. But one lately has vaulted to the top of the list for me, and needs to go, post haste. It's not just a saying, but a specific use of it with a punchline.

You know the thing where someone says, "If I had a nickel for every time X happened..." So far, it's okay. But then they follow up it with pretend thinking, and say "...I'd have a whole bunch of nickels!" (Just tell me you can't close your eyes and picture John Krasinski or Whitney Cummings saying that.) Like, I would have so many nickels I can't estimate an exact number, so I just say 'a whole bunch' and it's cute and endearing! Derp!

Yeah, that's got to stop. It's so used up, and so hacky, that stand-up comedians talking about air travel seems novel by comparison.

No comments: