Sunday, December 4, 2011

Same movie, different week

I've really run out of creative ways to say "this Giants team drives me crazy." Instead I'm just going to shoot from the hip.

I am sick of trying to put positive spins on losses that should have been wins. I couldn't care less that the Giants "hung in there" against an undefeated team. There are no moral victories. You need to actually win the game.

For an undefeated team, the Packers weren't very impressive to me. They dropped a lot of passes. They got a gift TD when Greg Jennings never had possession of the ball in the end zone before Prince Amukamara knocked it away. They got another gift when a 4th and 20 was turned into a 1st down on a ticky-tack illegal contact penalty on Jacquian Williams. I realize that "fan of the losing team whining about referee calls" is just about as low as it gets, and I try never to be that guy...but if you get one "Referees blew the game" challenge flag per season, I'm using it here. A few friends and I like to joke that touching Tom Brady is a penalty...apparently "being a rookie against the beloved Green Bay offense" is also going to cost you dearly.

Nonetheless, this was another game lost by the coordinators. And it will never change. Coughlin, who I still believe to be a good coach, is too loyal to these morons and won't fire them.

Tom Quinn's special teams. If the Giants got one explosive play from special teams, just one, it would be a miracle.

Kevin Gilbride's offense. I've seen a lot worse from ol' Killdrive, and for the most part I liked what he did today. But the 3rd and 8 quick screen attempt to D.J. Ware was a joke. And he got lucky on the shotgun draw working for the 2-point conversion. That was the first time that play worked all year.

Perry Fewell's defense. I think I could call a better defense on my Madden video game. You know why I think that? Because I CAN CALL A BETTER DEFENSE ON MY MADDEN VIDEO GAME. Fewell calls an awful game, but oh can he talk tough during the week! What a great approach it is to talk tough during the week, hoping to distract from the fact that you suck at your job and not get fired. I don't know how many more times Fewell can possibly call his stupid 3 or 4 man rush, with a soft zone behind it, on 3rd and long, only to watch the QB have forever to throw, and find someone wide open beyond the sticks. It's more predictable than a punchline on the NBC sitcom, "Whitney." Oh, you don't watch Whitney? That's okay, neither does anyone. But it's staying on the winter schedule yet Community is going away. Maybe NBC is run by Perry Fewell too.

I'm also sick of the injuries. Injuries are part of the game, but why are the Giants among the most injured teams every single year? At some point they should take a look at the strength and conditioning coaches. And the field turf in the new Giants Stadium (I don't care if it's called the "New Meadowlands," I've made my choice) is no excuse. The Jets play on the same field and don't have nearly the same amount of injuries the Giants do.

And you know what the worst part is? I can't do the logical thing and simply admit what's staring me in the face, that this 6-6 team simply isn't very good. I'll be furious over this loss until about Wednesday...then the rest of the week I'll be deluding myself with playoff scenarios, and how they just need to manage to beat Dallas twice and they're champions of a mediocre NFC East. Beat Dallas twice? This team can't beat anyone right now.

No comments: