Friday, April 30, 2010

Another example of life imitating South Park

There are three television shows throughout history that I feel life imitates pretty much on a daily basis: The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and South Park. Sure, they also happen to be my three favorite comedies ever, but at least in my world that's how it goes. Anyway, I saw yet another imitation this week that I thought would be fun to explore...

There was a South Park episode a few years back called "Stanley's Cup," in which Stan coaches a rag-tag Pee Wee hockey team. Stan's team appears to be the subject of a movie script...until the very end when they are crushed in the championship game by the other team, who had their own movie going all along, and got their happy ending. I probably couldn't have worded that any worse, but if you've seen the episode you know what I mean. (And if you didn't, it doesn't matter anyway right?)

Anyway, in real life the hockey movie appeared to be about the Phoenix Coyotes. They were an underdog story all season, overcoming low expectations, threats of moving out of town, and an indifferent home fan base. But they had a big season, and as my friend Luke pointed out, it had all the makings of a Hollywood script.


On Tuesday, the Coyotes were crushed by the Detroit Red Wings, 6-1, in the 7th and deciding game of the Western Conference Quarterfinals. This exhausts my knowledge of the game of hockey, but my knowledge of South Park is what's driving this thing anyway. So all along, unbeknownst to Coyotes fans, it turned out the movie was about the Red Wings. (Maybe that movie was about how the city of Detroit's economy is in trouble, or that it's just kind of a dump overall or something.)

And even more ironic was that in the South Park episode, the opponent in the championship game was portrayed as the actual, professional Detroit Red Wings. They outscored Stan's Pee Wee team 30-0 in the 3rd Period - my hockey knowledge tells me Stan's 5 year olds were just physically overmatched.

No comments: