Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Time to reach into my mail sack


Before I say anything else, let me announce how pleased I am with the cartoon photo I found to represent my mailbag entry. I appreciate the mailbag that says "Mail" and has a picture of a piece of mail on it, the way I appreciate a sack with the dollar sign on it to represent that it has money in it.
Onward we go now...

In response to my prior post, loyal reader, fellow radio professional, and friend (obviously, as no non-friends of mine read my blog) Joe provoked enough thought worth replying to, so I wanted to make a new entry for it. Partly also because I only make like 5 postings per month on this blog anymore, and that's lame, so I need to pad my stats some. Anyway, Joe writes...


Though I can't prove it...I think it'd be fairly easy to come closer on overall division record than you might think. With 4 teams...I bet it'd average out in the long run to something close to what you'd expect...even if you're a mile off on two or more teams. I'm no fan of referencing this stat.

The Lions going 0-16 was AWESOME. They'll still suck for years to come...which sucks...but at least they accomplished a monumental task this year and didn't 1-15 it like a bunch of other scrub teams. Didn't your Jets have a 1-15 year about 10 years ago?

Thanks for reading Joe! You do make a good point about the overall division records - I could miss badly on two teams, one over and one under, yet come close to my estimate. I had not fully taken that into account in the predictions where I graded myself high mainly based on this criterion. However, it's not as easy when predicting entire divisions to be far above or below .500. The idea was to predict divisional strength in general, so I'm still going to pathetically cling to how close I came to, for instance, the NFC East's 38 wins and NFC West's 22 wins.

And I agree about the Lions - no sense in just one-and-fifteening it like many other teams. May as well go full-on historic with it. Now, when you mention them as "your" (as in "my") Jets, I can refer you to this, as my Jet fandom went from summer 1997 to September 2008 (arrived with Parcells/Martin era and left with Pennington)...but yes, the Rich Kotite/Frank Reich/Adrian Murrell Jets went 1-15 in 1996, and boy were they laughable. And on that note I will encourage you to join me in leaving your abusive NFL relationship and seeking refuge with the kind of winning team you deserve. In other words, I can sum up my persuasive argument thusly...Big Blue, Big Blue, Big Blue! (And I don't mean the University of Michigan.
)

2 comments:

mkenny59 said...

I suggest that you patent the phrase "one-and-fifteening it" because that was awesome and I'd like to read that more often. And I, too, love the opening pic. How are you supposed to know what's in a sack if it's not advertised?

That's what she said?

Anonymous said...

I can't see myself ever leaving the Lions. Sure they've never been to a Super Bowl...sure they suck hardcore. They're the team I root for though. I don't consider myself part of them...but they are MY team...the NFL team I root for.

I've got no problem with what you did...that's your choice...but it's not for me. Detroit's my team...and I'll be so giddy 4 years from now when they go 3-13 and get another new coach...it'll be AWESOME. There's always the draft though. Not one first rounder but TWO this year...and the number one overall...there was much joy in Joeville in January...and there will be till at least June when their holdouts/awfulness on the field again become clear in training camp.

Root for your Giants...I'll still support you UNTIL you decide you're a Jet fan again...that I cannot condone.

- Joe -