Friday, December 5, 2008

Does anybody remember laughter?

I would just like to bring more attention to the craziness that has ensued on my friend Mike's blog the past couple days over this post:

http://mikekenny.blogspot.com/2008/07/classic-card-of-week_8747.html

Yes, a photo of me is included, but it's not really about me. First and foremost, I want you to read Mike's post on this SI For Kids card featuring a speed skater, and enjoy it on its own merits. I dare you not to laugh, and I dare you to try to take it literally or in a totally serious/factual light.

Now read the comments at the bottom made by "Brian Krans," and the second "Anonymous."

I know it's an extremely small sample size, and as Mike says, they may even be the same person...but after seeing these comments I have truly begun to question the ability of people (or at least a percentage of people) in America in the year 2008 to laugh, or even to grasp the concept of humor when done by others.

I am still leaving open a slight possibility that these people were themselves trying to be sarcastic or satirical, or trying to bait us in some way. But, if I may quote another great blog, the now defunct FJM: If this is bait...I've taken it, and it's delicious.

2 comments:

mkenny59 said...

I think "Bill's" comment is better than the actual post. That guy should start a blog!

Unknown said...

I thought I was being clever commenting on the dude waxing and then saw your comment after the fact. Damn you.