Monday, October 20, 2008

Welcome to Giantland!

What a day it's been! I was just informed that my papers went through. I'm thrilled about my new home! That's right, my application for political asylum in New York Giants fanhood was accepted. It is awesome to be on board.

And to think, this happens mere hours after the New York Jets, my old professional football home (a very abusive home at that), suffered their most embarassing loss in franchise history. I wouldn't say it was the worst game purely in terms of poor play, as approximately 10 of the top 10 in that category are from the Rich Kotite years...but in terms of expectations, talent assembled pre-gunslinger (Pace, Jenkins, etc.), talent that was already in place, and the fact that they were playing against a team in complete disarray, and an owner who holds bizarre press conferences during which he reads letters telling his ex-coach to "get over it"...I'd say that yesterday was the most humiliating loss the franchise has ever had.
For those not familiar with the concept of football political asylum, a fan is allowed to adopt allegiance to a non-conference, geographically close team, if the conditions with his former team become so bad that the fan could no longer rationally support them. It's just science, people. Now, the fan does reserve the right to return to his former team, but only when those conditions measurably improve. With the Jets, for instance, I assume this time will not come until a change at quarterback is made.

I think when all is said and done, the 2008 Jets will be proof that you can't play "fantasy football" with an NFL roster. As I mentioned earlier, the team was assembled in the offseason with key components to help them win. The pieces all fit. In August, things looked promising for the Jets. They appeared poised for a good season with Chad Pennington and an offensive line, running game, and receivers who could work with his strengths and weaknesses. Then, the Jets tried to plug in a quarterback who was over the hill, terribly mistake-prone, and didn't really want to be there. I knew this was how it was going to go, but to my credit as the patient, level-headed fan I am, I gave the experiment a fair chance. I still think the Jets will make the playoffs, and I stick to that prediction...but it's clear their quarterback will never give them the two decent performances in a row necessary to defeat two very good teams in the postseason.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I did this very same thing several years ago. San Fransisco has long been my team of choice... but as they decided to cut the greatest wide-receiver ever and then pander to TO's nonsense by running Jeff Garcia out of town. The 49ers bad choices coupled with a strong interest in rooting against my inlaw's love for the Denver Broncos lead me to the Oakland Raiders (who had just signed the greatest wide receiver ever). Of course now I find myself saddled with two terribly mismanaged teams. So yeah, good luck.

Also, good luck avoiding accusations of jumping on the Giant's bandwagon.

mkenny59 said...

Welcome aboard! It was inevitable -- nobody goes Yankees + Jets. It just doesn't work. You gave it a valiant effort, though!