Monday, June 21, 2010

Fun with heat

It's the first day of summer, but here in the desert this rarely marks any type of significance. Most years we're well into triple digit temperatures by now, and usually have been for about a month.

However, this year has been different. The unseasonably cool April and May were absolute gifts. I didn't use my home's air conditioner until late May, and in this region that's almost unheard of. June has also been - dare I say - "not so bad," with highs most days in the upper 90s. And even when it's topped 100, it's been in the 101-103 range. Again, I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's not so bad. At least not compared to insane 110-115 degree heatwaves, which we're sure to see every summer for at least a few days at a time. Sure, 100 is hot, and 115 is hot, but failing to recognize a difference would be another good old line drawing fallacy.

The Farmer's Almanac long range forecast predicted this June would be 5 degrees below average, and so far they're spot-on. But what about July-September, which are expected to be just as bad as usual? Don't you worry, I've got a positive spin to put on that.

You see, I usually count April and May as part of the heat. And the pain usually leaves as September comes to an end. That makes 6 hot months out of 12 we're working with. Two of them are over, and the 3rd is almost over. Why, after this week we're right on July's doorstep!

So we've barely faced any awful summer heat thus far, and I'm declaring it half-over. Do you like how I did that?

Me neither. See you (outdoors) in October.

No comments: