Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sometimes, you just don't get to gloat, revisited

About a month and a half ago I wrote this post, (yes I just linked to myself) taking a moment to mock the David Beckham soccer explosion that never happened. I thought I was the only one who remembered, but today I realized I'm not alone. Author Grant Wahl has written a book called The Beckham Experiement, detailing the failed venture. One of the most interesting bits from the book, which I heard Wahl say in an interview with WTEM 980's Andy Pollin and Steve Czaban, was how Beckham's contract was not $250 million as was reported, but about $33 million. A nice heap of money still, but not quite what we thought. (The $250 million number was invented by Beckham's publicity team.)

Oh, and Victoria Beckham becoming a star in America didn't quite happen either.

1 comment:

mkenny59 said...

I didn't even realize that Beckham had been here long enough for a book to be written about the influence he did not have. Did Wahl have the foresight to start writing when the terms of the fake contract were released?

Also, isn't it fun to link to yourself?