Thursday, February 24, 2011

State of the Giants Offseason

I believe it's about as likely that we have a full NFL season in 2011, as it is that Godsmack will sing about a man desiring someone to come closer in proximity to him. But just for giggles, here is my assessment of the Giants coming into whatever the next season is.

Quarterbacks:

Obviously set with Eli Manning for another 5-7 years. He must cut down on the turnovers, but that will come with a more experienced group of receivers than he had in 2010. Eli has been super durable, with 110 consecutive starts trailing only his brother for the longest active streak. And if he gets injured for any prolonged period of time, the Giants are finished anyway. Still, I like Sage Rosenfels as a backup.

Running Backs:

They can squeeze one more good year out of the Jacobs and Bradshaw combo, but it's definitely time to start layering in new backs. I look for them to draft one in the middle to late rounds. This Giants team, as well as great Giants teams of the past, were all running teams first. And when it comes to running backs, you have to stay ahead of that inevitable sudden drop-off in their production.

Receivers/Tight Ends:

Just by getting healthy and a year older, they'll be better here. I don't think reinforcements are needed - and no, I don't think Burress will be back.

Offensive Line:

Whoever said a player shouldn't lose his job to injury, didn't watch this unit in 2010. Shaun O'Hara, who has had an excellent career, missed several games in the middle of the season. When Kevin Boothe or William Beatty took his place, and Rich Seubert was moved from guard to center, the line was flat out dominant. When O'Hara returned, they struggled. I don't know what to make of this, but it's a fact that this line is aging and is in dire need of young talent. I'd like to see at least two picks, one preferably a 1st or 2nd rounder, used on a lineman. The average age of the Giants' (non-injury altered) line in 2010 - McKenzie, Snee, O'Hara, Seubert, Diehl - was 30.8.

Defensive Line:

They're pretty set here. There is no reason Tuck and Umenyiora can't continue to dominate. Jason Pierre-Paul showed flashes, more and more as the season went on. Mathias Kiwanuka, if re-signed, would be gravy, but I wouldn't consider him a huge priority given he's coming off a major back injury. It would also be nice to see someone emerge from the tackle position, though I admit this is the most difficult position to evaluate from my couch.

Linebackers:

The position most sorely in need of difference-makers, and this has been the case for 3 years now. No one on the current roster interests me, nor scares any opposing offenses I assume.

Secondary:

I was impressed with the growth of Terrell Thomas in 2010. Corey Webster at the other corner spot is fine, and the safety triumvirate of Phillips, Grant, and Rolle are adequate.

One more thing on Rolle though: Shut up and play. Several times last year, having just arrived, Rolle popped off about a lack of leadership, Coughlin's coaching style, and even not having enough fun. I won't be too harsh on Rolle because I recognize the kind of organization he came from, but Tom Coughlin is a champion. Antrel Rolle is not. At least not yet. And I'm sorry you didn't have enough fun in 2010 Antrel - and here I thought the point of the NFL was to win games.


Notable free agents:

Ahmad Bradshaw, Mathias Kiwanuka, Steve Smith, Barry Cofield, Kevin Boss and Domenik Hixon.

I place the most importance on Bradshaw and Smith. Kiwanuka is expendable, as is Boss if they feel Travis Beckum is ready to assume all-around TE duties. They missed Hixon on special teams, but he'll have a hard time getting back into the WR mix. I expect Cofield will be back.

No comments: