Monday, August 31, 2009

Some people never get the memo

When jokes are no longer cool, those who continue to use them, whether by ignorance or poor taste, run the risk of embarassment.

One example that comes to mind in recent history that I still see or hear people using in one way or another, is "Got ____?" (a parody of the "Got Milk?" ad campaign). Whenever I see a Chargers fan wearing a "Got Tomlinson?" t-shirt, for instance, I cry a little on the inside.


Another that has long outlived its welcome is the Mastercard formula: Item A, dollar amount. Item B, dollar amount. Item C, "Priceless." I saw one joke on the internet shortly after the turn of the century spoofing this formula, and I got a small chuckle out of it. But that was about it. If you're still using this mad-lib to make jokes about Michael Vick, Isaiah Thomas, Frank Stallone, or anyone/anything else in life, please stop.

In trying to come up with examples in sports where certain jokes have just been beaten into the ground, so far I can only think of one: People who, upon hearing a description of something, rush to quote Dennis Green's "They are who we thought they were" rant. Most of the time it doesn't even apply to the topic, and the person delivering the joke is practically dislocating his spinal cord trying to stretch for the reference.

(Oddly, I have not yet tired of people quoting Jim Mora, "Playoffs!?" or Allen Iverson, "We talkin' about practice," so do feel free to continue use of those...for now. They could prove to be timeless exceptions, but I may have to get back to you on that after 5 more years in heavy rotation for both quotes.)

I'd be happy to hear your examples of sayings or jokes, sports or non-sports, that are really tired yet continue to be used by a significant amount of people. I know I'm forgetting some good ones.

2 comments:

mkenny59 said...

I'm not sure if it's a joke persay, but maybe more like a turn-of-phrase or something. Anyway, it's: "Oh, and did I mention...?

Like,
SportsCenter anchor: The Cleveland Cavaliers head into the 2009-10 season with Shaquille O'Neal, who should vastly improve the defense and scoring inside the paint, as well as open up the perimeter. Head coach Mike Brown enters the season wiser after an unceremonious earlier playoff exit. And oh, did I mention LeBron James?

I hate this.

Bill said...

Ah, the Snarky Understatement. I can't stand that either. Another form of it goes something like this...

Sportscenter anchor: "Player X averaged over 30 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals per game in the conference finals. The last player to do this? Some guy named Michael Jordan."