Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Top 10 Queen songs you've probably never heard

Without much to talk about in sports this month - obviously I'm not watching the NCAA tournament very closely - I have decided to share some of my favorite Queen songs. Queen is my favorite band ever, and contains both the greatest all-time singer, Freddie Mercury, and the most awesome guitar player, Brian May. (John Deacon on bass and Roger Taylor on drums weren't too shabby either.)

I didn't want to include any wildly popular Queen songs (of which there are numerous), because it would seem too difficult...yet too easy at the same time. I also won't include any songs from Queen I, due to the fact that it has too much sentimental value to me, making it hard to evaluate as objectively as the rest of the Queen albums. I had a cassette of Queen I for a couple years before I got a hold of any of their others albums, and I think I wore that tape out by the end of 6th grade. Anyway, without further delay, here are my top 10 Queen songs you've probably never heard. With each song you'll find Rhapsody links to each album if you're interested in listening, including live versions.


10) The Prophet's Song - A Night at the Opera (1975).

9) Friends Will Be Friends - A Kind of Magic (1986), Live at Wembley '86, Live Magic (1986).

8) Dragon Attack - The Game (1980), Rock Montreal (1981), Live at the Bowl (1982).

7) Don't Stop Me Now - Jazz (1978), Live Killers (1979).

6) '39 - A Night at the Opera (1975), Live Killers (1979).

5) Innuendo - Innuendo (1991).

4) It's a Hard Life - The Works (1984).

3) Ogre Battle - At The BBC (1973). Queen II (1974).

2) In The Lap of the Gods, Revisited - Sheer Heart Attack (1974), Live at Wembley '86

1) Seven Seas of Rhye - Queen II (1974), Live at Wembley '86, Live Magic (1986)

Honorable mention: I'm not sure if this one counts as wildly popular...though a live audience favorite, I've never heard it on the radio. If it counts, it belongs with the very best on this list.
Love of My Life - A Night at the Opera (1975), Live Killers (1979), Rock Montreal (1981), Live at the Bowl (1982), Live at Wembley '86, Live Magic (1986).

Another great thing to me about Queen, is that even after almost 20 years of listening to them, I could make this list again next week and I feel like it would be totally different.

Well folks, until next time, Keep Yourself Alive...but Don't Try So Hard.

3 comments:

Author said...

It's Late, Dead On Time, The Hero, Is This the World We Created, Brighton Rock, Save Me, Las Palabras De Amor,
All God's People, Dont Try So Hard, Hang On In There, My Life Has Been Saved

Anonymous said...

Had I known you liked Queen you would've moved way up in my...he's not an a-hole list...not that you were to begin with...but you'd moved even higher up said list.

- Joe -

Anonymous said...

jesus
white queen
the march of the black queen
in the lap of the gods (revisited)
death on two legs
the prophet's song
white man
my melancholy blues
mustapha
jealousy