Friday, January 30, 2009

Super Bowl Prediction

In the week and a half or so since the Championship round, I was feeling pretty nervous about this game. But I’m finally ready to take a stand. Give me the Steelers. And if you’re a point spread gambler…if I have to lay the 7 points, I’ll do it. Also, take the “over.”

Last week, I compared the pregame scenario of this Super Bowl XLIII, to that of Super Bowl XIV. A 9-7 team that got hot at the right time, with an ex-Steelers coordinator on their staff, facing a dominant Steelers team, in a game that was closer than it looked on paper. However, I see this game playing out more like Super Bowl XIX.

In Super Bowl XIX, the Miami Dolphins faced the San Francisco 49ers. Miami started the game well, but after a while, the one-dimensional Dolphins were exposed, and the well-balanced 49ers took full command of the game. The final score: 49ers 38, Dolphins 16. At one point late in the game, 49ers offensive lineman Jesse Sapolu turned to a sideline camera and said something like, “They came here to see an offense…and the wrong one showed up.” I see the Steelers’ offense showing more firepower than they are given credit for, and the Steelers’ defense forcing Kurt Warner into several costly mistakes.


Last year, I picked the Patriots, and hoped I'd be wrong. This year, I pick the Steelers, and hope I'll be right. My pick for this one will be the same score of Super Bowl XIX, plus an extra TD for Arizona to account for Larry Fitzgerald’s awesomeness. Final score: Steelers 38, Cardinals 23.

(Plus Czabe picks the Steelers, so that makes me feel better. Though he compares this one more to Super Bowl XXXV, Giants vs. Ravens.)

No comments: